Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Recipe: Miso Noodle Soup (Vegan)

My Mom used to make this for us a lot when I was growing up. I do the cooking for a youth program now and this past weekend I thought it would be nice to make this for the kids for lunch. My Mom always used to just add whatever pasta we had but I love udon so I added that instead. Everyone loved it, and it’s vegan so I thought I would put the recipe up here. Again I have no picture for you. I didn’t get to my camera until later that evening. This is just a real fast and simple dish that can be made pretty much any time of the year.

Serves 14 people, adjust as needed.

Ingredients:
16 cups water
½- ¾ cup miso paste
2 veggie broth cubes or 2 TB veggie broth powder 
1 onion (optional)
1 TB garlic powder
1 package udon noodles (or really any kind of thin pasta)
6 cups uncooked bok choy (optional)
1 TB oil (optional)
1 tea sesame oil (optional)

Directions:
Pour water into a pot and let simmer until almost but not quite boiling. Add veggie broth, garlic powder, and sesame oil to water, and let simmer until the broth has dissolved.

Slice onions finely, wash and slice the bok choy also finely. Sauté both the bok choy and onions in the 1 TB oil in a separate pan. You can add the onions and bok choy to the soup right before serving or serve it separately on the side.

Take about a cup of the broth out of the pot and put in a separate bowl. Add the miso paste to the bowl of hot broth and whisk with a fork until the paste as mostly dissolved. Add the broth-paste mixture back into the pot. Heat until the miso broth is lightly boiling but not at a rolling boil and add the udon noodles. The noodles take about 4 min. to cook. Once the noodles are soft take the pot off the heat and serve.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment