Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Recipe: Polish Lazy Pierogi (Vegetarian)


I’ve been eating a dish known as lazy pierogi my whole life. It involves egg noodles, sauerkraut, and mushrooms. Over Christmas though I discovered that there is another more traditionally Polish version of lazy pierogi, which are actually cheesy dumplings. With a youth retreat coming up and my vegan housemate out of town I decided to give them a try. These are really, really not vegan and not dairy free. The traditional recipe calls for farmer’s cheese but I used goat cheese and plain yogurt (one for each batch). Although I am allergic to all dairy produced by a cow I can eat goat cheese for some reason. These little dumplings are filling though, I ate three and that was too many. Most of the kids only ate two, which is a good serving size for these filling little guys.

It makes 20 dumplings and serves 10

Ingredients:
1 pound goat cheese, or 1 ½ cups plain yogurt
3 large eggs
1 tea oil
1 tea salt
2 cups all purpose flour

2 TB butter or margarine

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except the butter, in a food processor. With a steel blade pulse until it turns into a very sticky dough. Cover a large, flat surface with flour and turn dough out onto it. Roll dough into a log about one and a half inches across.  Slice log into about inch wide dumplings. I managed to get about twenty out of one batch of dough.

Heat large pot of water until boiling. Gently drop dumplings into boiling water. They will boil for about five minutes before rising to the surface. When the dumplings rise let them boil for another five minutes before taking them out with a slotted spoon.  

Sauté them in a large skillet with the 2 TB of butter until both sides are golden brown.

I served them with vegan mushroom gravy, but they would also be good with sour cream or melted butter and caramelized onions.   


No comments:

Post a Comment