Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Fragments and Good Intentions

I had intended to do a post about the fantasy of the one true love and happily ever after in the romance genre and why I think this can be  heteronormative and problematic specially when the two main characters are not straight.

I'm tired though. It's gotten to that point in the semester where I'm physically and intellectually exhausted all the time. 

So I'm going to hold on and save the conversation and the article I've written about it for another time.

I just finished writing a short story about 13K long for no reason other than I felt like it. The story is about superheros or more precisely the people who work with them, who gather the intelligence and design the equipment and generally do the behind the scenes work. It's a cute, fluffy story about two geeks who meet and start dating then find out they're both involved in the superhero business. As people might have noticed, I am interested in the down time, the quiet moments between or after the giant battles or political goings on in traditionally action based sub-genres. This is much the same but taken into a world with superheros and supervillians. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but we will see.

I've also been thinking about the space opera beauty and the beast retelling I started a while ago. I have discovered that I either lost the notes for it or didn't have any to begin with which means I'm faced with designing the plot over again. This time I am thinking I want to widen the setting a bit, bring it to other planets earlier then I had originally intended and add another main character which will mean it may become my first ever polyamourus story. Again I have nothing serious in mind for this story. It was designed to be fun, completely improbable space opera fluff. In which I employed the same level of science knowledge and rigorous research showcased on the average Doctor Who episode. Or as one author called it on his blog "fantasy in space." I also tend to write in things, like tentacle dicks and nano bugs, for no other reason then I find them pleasing to write about.

Much like the superhero story I'm not quite sure what I will do with this when I finish it. Like the superhero story I'm not sure this will be well thought out tightly plotted literature, nor will it probably follow the standard tropes of the genre so I'm not sure how many other people will enjoy reading it.

We will see though.

No comments:

Post a Comment