Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Recipe: Omuraisu (Vegetarian, for now)

Hello all you beautiful beings,




So I will admit this is a cheat recipe mostly because the only thing I did was make it vegetarian, but it was super tasty and I had a picture so I figured I'd put it up. A couple months back my Nana gave me a small rice cooker. Now I don't eat a lot of rice, I hated it as a kid and it's one of those things I've been trying to add back into my adult diet. I've also been trying to learn how to use this rice cooker and get good at it. So this afternoon after running around doing the shopping I decided to make myself omuraisu for a late lunch. 


I used the recipe at Just Hungry which is a fabulous website I'd definitely recommend checking out especially if your interested in making Japanese food. This recipe makes one good sized serving so you can just multiply it by how many people you're cooking for.


Ingredients: 


1 cup cooked white or brown rice
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
5 pieces sliced pre-made seitan or as much as desired 
2 TB butter
2 TB ketchup plus more for top
2 large eggs
salt and pepper to taste 



The recipe calls for chicken or ham. I originally added about 2 TB of TVP while I was frying the rice and about 3 TB of water to re-hydrate it. It was good but the on my second try I made it with a package of pre-made seitan I had in the freezer and that was even better. I'd definitely recommend making it with the seitan.  


I also want to try making this vegan probably by using Vegan Dad's recipe for vegan omelet 


All and all I really liked this a lot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment